Who Says

“Feels like standing on a runway
Standing out on a runway lately
Watching everybody else fly by...” 

A year ago, I was consumed by these words by Joshua Micah. I felt like I was seated in an airport terminal waiting for a flight that would never come. Every time a friend or coworker would get married, it felt  like a fiery dart just penetrated my heart. I’d try to pretend I was happy when Facebook would announce another relationship status for a friend...but deep down I was killing myself. Weddings were hard. It took everything in me not to break down and cry. I often wondered, very honestly, if God had forgotten about me. 


“See that wildfire in your eyes
Keep on burning keep that dream alive
Can't let go of what you got inside
Maybe it's crazy
Maybe it's meant to be”


Suddenly, advice from my older brother, Aaron echoed through my mind, interrupting my wandering melancholy thoughts. “Keep your heart open.” Take the desire you have and rather than bottle it up or give up, I decided to put it in my poetry. I decided, instead of focusing on that which is out of my hands, I would turn my focus to pursuing my dream to become a published author. 


“Who says you gotta have it all figured out
Who says you'll never feel alone in the crowd
Who says you gotta be like everyone else
Who says?” 


I’d become so consumed by the one thing I had yet to have that I’d forgotten all the things I ALREADY had. Let’s name just a few: 
1. Solid friendships.
2. Godly family.
3. Jobs I love.
4. My health 

Who said I had to be in a relationship to be happy? What’s pulling you away from pursuing your greatest passion? 
Who told you that? Maybe the person who’s holding you back from being your best self is looking right back at you in the mirror.  


Comments

Popular Posts