Back On Track

Being a good writer involves reading and writing on a regular basis, I’ve been told. I’ll confess, while I love writing, I’m not a very enthusiastic reader.

I was always an excelerated reader. I don’t regularly read for pleasure....

I guess that’s entirely true. I do read for pleasure. I read a lot of cooking magazines and cookbooks. Ever since I was maybe 8 or 9, I’ve enjoyed reading about food. I remember sneaking into my mom’s spice cabinet just to smell all of the spices. As an adult, I remember every spice and it’s unique aroma. 

I guess I have always read. I always thought reading had to be like a novel or some kind of academic literature. 
I’d prefer to read a cookbook about the authentic preparation of Tonkotsu Ramen or the proper technique to cook Tandoori Chicken. I’m not a huge fan of fictional literature, save a few classics bo I can count on one hand including the Velveteen Rabbit and Uncle Tom’s Cabin.

If you’re a writer, regardless of genre, set aside time in your week to read for pleasure. Find topics that intrigue and fascinate you personally. 

Good luck on your endeavors! I got to get back to reading the next chapter in Poet’s Market!

Comments

Popular Posts