Never Give Up!



I began writing poetry in 2005. At first, I wrote to cope and process through my emotions. I guess you could say my poetry was a form of cognitive therapy. I never stopped writing after that. In high school, my English teacher, Mrs. Moore, inspired me to share my poetry. So, in 2009, I wrote a poem that was published in A Celebration of Poets.

Ever since that day, now nearly 10 years ago, I’ve always dreamed of one day publishing a poem of mine again. These last few years especially, I’ve been compiling what I’ve written from the many notebooks and journals I’ve hoarded over the past decade.

Last week, I wrote my first cover letter. I felt like a baby learning to walk for the first time. I Googled cover letters. I found a template on Microsoft Word. I had fellow writer friends critique my work. Last night I mailed in my first submission to a publisher.

Never give up on your dreams. That fire that you feel under your feet; don’t let it get snuffed out.

Are you wanting to publish your writing? Here’s a few helpful tips:
1. Read a lot.( I’m not an avid reader, unless you count cookbooks).
2. Get others to read your writing and give helpful advice.
3. Get yourself The Writer’s Market. https://www.amazon.com/Writers-Market-2019-Trusted-Published/dp/1440354359/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PYEGA9SII2FM&keywords=writers+market+2019&qid=1550530909&s=gateway&sprefix=Writers%2Caps%2C369&sr=8-1
4. Start submitting.
5. Keep writing.
6. Never give up!

Comments

Popular Posts